The buildings of the one-time District 3 gas factory were erected in 1913. The residential district was built next to it for the employees. The buildings, which enjoy a historic monument status, are located on the two sides of a park surrounded by enormous plane trees. The one- and two-storey buildings with towers, balconies, yellow walls and green shutters are a friendly sight. (From: filminhungary.com)
The Óbuda Gasworks was built in 1913 of high quality with two residential enclaves, and was the only state-of-the-art facility in Central Europe until WWII. The property is currently owned by the City of Budapest after the Gas Company’s ceasing its 90 years of operation and moving out in December 2004. Some of the buildings have been demolished over the years, but the halls and towers representing the most important structures of industrial heritage have survived and became listed buildings in 2004. The specialty of the place is that it contains housing enclaves that have been built together with the Factory (Garden City movement) – one for the workers, and one for the managers
and engineers. Graphisoft, a leading software company have been developing a high-technology R&D centre on the adjacent site since 1997. The Hungarian Government indicated in its 2005 development concept the use of the area as a Museum district (From: partner4action)
The Obuda Gasworks was erected in Budapest between 1910 and 1913 and was officially opened two months before the outbreak of the First World War. The first gasworks in the city had begun work in 1856, and others had been built in 1871, 1872 and 1874, but the Obuda works was a project on a very large scale, with the most advanced gas production facilities in Central Europe. Over a long period the gas system in the city was converted to operate with natural gas, and after being privatised in 1995 the last activities at the works came to an end in 2004. Most of the important structures remain and are being incorporated in a large-scale re-generation scheme, one of the most ambitious in Europe, which will restore public access to the banks of the River Danube, extend the museum that displays Roman antiquities found in the area, provide premises for science-based industries, and establish a museums campus in which the Museum of Ethnography, the National Museum of Technology, the Museum of Transport and a new Museum of Architecture will be located. Two areas of Garden City style housing, one designed for managers and the other for workers, remain adjacent to the Obuda Works. (From: erih.net)
Not so much to do here except walk through the village where the employees of the gas works were housed and peer through the breaks in the wall at the factory itself. The village is quaint to say the least. The houses are stylistically very different from anything I have seen in Budapest. All are yellow with green shutters. Parks abound and a schoolyard provides recreation for the kids. If you make your way to the Roman Coast, you should walk through this area as well.